GarfNet Pictures

media library based on 'Coppermine' gallery

Click to view full size image

Christmas Card 2013, St Faith's Church Havant - in the Snow

In 935AD, Havant was known as "Hamafunta" - the spring of Hama - referring to the water spring to the south-west of St Faith's Churchyard. The settlement was located at the crossing point of the track from the Downs to the coast and another track running east to west along the coast. By the time of Domesday Book, 1086, Havant was a village with a population of around 100. In 1200, the monks of Winchester Cathedral were granted permission to hold a market in the town, known at this time as "Haveunte".

Much of Havant was destroyed by fire in 1760, leaving only the church and the adjacent 16th century cottages. Some locals argue that today's town centre would be greatly improved if the same fate befell the ghastly-looking Meridian Shopping Centre.

clock12.swf dscf2026.jpg xmas2013-600.png dscf3067.jpg rolex.swf
Rate this file (Current rating : 5 / 5 with 2 votes)
File information
Filename:xmas2013-600.png
Album name:garf / Christmas Cards
Rating (2 votes):55555(Show details)
Keywords:christmas / 2013 / havant / church / goose / xmas
Photographer or Creator:Garfield Lucas and Susannah Dora Majlati
Date:2013-12-25
Filesize:445 KiB
Date added:Dec 26, 2013
Dimensions:600 x 410 pixels
Displayed:95 times
URL:http://www.garfnet.org.uk/coppermine/displayimage.php?pid=32319
Favorites:Add to Favorites