Written by Garfield Lucas
I am not an expert. I am more of a perpetual student - always amazed and somewhat baffled by how much there is to learn and how little I really know. Consequently, this site is here as much to help me understand the world as it is to try to provide a useful resource to the broader community.
When I venture out into the streets of sunny Southampton, I'm usually seen sporting a camera and perhaps a radio scanner or a portable computer. Friends sometimes describe me as having a 'boyish enthusiasm' because I really do like my toys. Less charitable observers suggest that I have a mental age of twelve! OK, so generally I don't take the world particularly seriously but I do believe one should treat the planet and all its inhabitants with kindness & respect. As we say round these parts, "What goes around, comes around."
I enjoy my work too and I always have lots of projects on the boil. Some would say I've made a lifestyle of it. Anyway, these are some of my likes & dislikes, c/w a few links to various points within my sites. I must get round to finishing this sometime!
Top 30 Likes...
- my beautiful Hungarian girlfriend - known on this site as The Angel
- taking photos (especially when using sophisticated digital SLR cameras)
- Hong Kong
- creative and imaginative thinkers
- clever and smart design
- small handheld radio scanners
- driving fast open top cars
- velvet waistcoats (handy for cleaning the lenses)
- visiting far-off places
- midnight walks on deserted beaches
- 'Private Eye' magazine (the covers are always outrageously funny)
- MP3's (and OGGs)
- music made by friends
- torches - and pretty much anything that lights up or goes "ping".
- Beer, especially Hungarian brewed Szalon - its Christmas beer is especially wonderful
- Beethoven symphonies (preferably the 6th)
- any movie starring Michael Caine. Sleuth is my favourite, with Educating Rita and the Italian Job (the original not the crappy Hollywood remake) are my joint second favourites.
- BBC World Service (especially 'From Our Own Correspondent')
- my mum's flapjacks (I'm trying to persuade her to let me put the recipe on the site!)
- red wine
- Southampton Common
- rainy Sunday afternoons
- Tux, the Linux penguin
- Large hard disks - I'm a data-junkie!
- digital multimeters, weather stations and any thing you can use to measure things with - I'm also a geek!
- unusual watches
Top 20 Dislikes...
- George Bush (and those shadowy figures that pull his strings). Thank heavens he's gone, though poor old Obama has one heck of a mess to clear up.
- spam emails and chain letters & those who send them
- corrupt politicians
- corporations that needlessly pollute the planet and put their profits before the needs of the people
- religious zealots
- Microsoft (and any organisation that uses its corporate muscle to stifle innovation)
- expensive machines that don't work properly
- being woken up too early on Sunday mornings
- washing up
- Southampton's nightclubs
- British Telecom
- people who let their dogs crap on the pavement & don't clean it up
- Tony Blair (never trust a man who smiles that much). Actually I really dislike this grinning, lying two-faced shyster. But my contempt for the man is such that I do not think he deserves to be top of anything.
- those little packets of ketchup that split in the wrong place and squirt their contents all over your trousers!
Last Updated on Tuesday, 12 January 2010 19:08